Thursday, June 26, 2008

Debbie's Report

Jon is letting me write today, since today we visited a place that I have wanted to visit since I was in the fourth grade—the Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum and House.

But first, I want to tell you more about the St. Louis Arch!


The Arch was built in the 1960’s because St. Louis was known as the “Gateway to the West” in the 1800’s. The area all around the Arch was beautiful, like a park. Ordinarily, you can walk along the edge of the Mississippi River near the Arch, but there were big fences up while we were there due to the flooding. There are stairs that lead from the river up to the base of the Arch, but the bottom third of the stairs were covered in water. I wanted to take a riverboat ride, but they were closed since all of the docks were flooded. Here's what the docks looked like from the top of the Arch:


The top of the Arch was really neat. You could look out the windows on one side and see the Mississippi River and into Illinois. If you looked out the other side, you saw the city of St. Louis, MO including the old court house. I loved this area!



Today was the most wonderful day so far. We went to Mansfield, MO, and we were able to tour the farmhouse that Almanzo built, where he and Laura lived for most of their lives. The house was preserved following Laura’s death, and everything was kept the same as it was when she lived there.



We also visited the museum, where we saw Pa’s fiddle, Mary’s nine-patch quilt, and Laura’s first sampler. They had Laura’s dishes, some of her clothes, her jewelry, and her early manuscripts. I enjoyed it so much! They had a section devoted to their daughter, Rose, who was also a famous writer.


After the museum, we went to the Little House Bookstore. I got some great souvenirs.



Daniel, Bethany, and I walked the ¾ mile path to the house that Rose built for her parents, called the Rock House. (Jon and Katherine brought the van for us. Katherine was wearing her new sandals that she can’t walk in!) Rose had the Rock House built for her parents in the 1920’s with running water, electricity, and a furnace. It was a very modern place for them to spend their retirement years. However, after 8 years, they moved back to their farmhouse. We were able to tour the Rock House, and see more of the Wilders’ things. My family was very patient with me as I took my fill of the houses and the museum.


We had a long drive this afternoon and evening to get to our hotel in Topeka, Kansas. Even though it was late when we arrived, we all took a swim in a nice warm pool. This hotel also has a playground that the kids want to check out in the morning.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job posting Debbie!! It looks like the weather has been in your favor. We are looking forward to more postings each day. Have fun!!! Marty

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that the Little House museum turned out to be everything you wanted! Thanks for sharing about it!
Jillian thinks that the pictures are cool. Thanks for posting more, as your public demanded! ;-)
Have fun at Patti's!
Love, Judy and the gang

Anonymous said...

We're glad that you enjoyed the Little House Museum after waiting so long. This was our first look at your blog after Judy showed it to me during our visit there Tuesday June 24. We both enjoyed reading about your adventures. Have fun! I'm sure we'll enjoy Colorado. Mount Evans near Patti's is also a fun drive.

Grandma & Grandpa Immel

Anonymous said...

I am so happy you finally visited the house, Debbie. I know you were looking forward to it so much!
Love,
Susan

Anonymous said...

Debbie, I can't believe your a Laura fan. My 3rd grade teacher read us serveral of the books in the series at story time and I have been taken with her ever since. I can't wait to hear more about this part of your trip when you get home. It sounds like you are having a wonderful time. You're not missing much here except rain, rain and more rain.
I look forward to following more of your trip. Lori