Thursday, June 26, 2008

Jon's Response

On Thursday evening, we arrived safely in Longmont, Colorado, at the home of Patti and Adam Lee. Patti is Debbie's sister, and we will be staying here through the weekend. It was a long, uneventful day of driving through Kansas today. So I'll share my thoughts about yesterday and our side trip to Mansfield, Missouri.

Debbie really had a great day on Wednesday because she fulfilled a decades-long dream and visited the home of a childhood idol. I had a great day, too - because I found gas for $3.67 a gallon!

I really wanted to tease the tour guides and ask questions about Laura’s adopted brother Albert Ingalls. (They made him up for the TV show.) However, this was Debbie’s day, and so I resisted the urge because I didn’t want to get us kicked out!

And can you believe this? While Debbie was spending hours in her trance at the Museum, I snuck over to the gift shop to do a little early Christmas shopping. I figured I could easily find something in there that she would like. I honed in on a pretty Christmas ornament of the Rock House, bought it, and hid it in the van. Debbie never even noticed I was gone.

However, when we later went to the gift shop as a family, what did Debbie decide to buy? That’s right – out of all the items in this expansive gift shop, she lingered over the ornaments and settled on the EXACT SAME ONE I HAD ALREADY PURCHASED FOR HER!

What would you do? At first I tried to discourage her from getting that ornament and selecting a different one. She tried, but she had already fallen in love with the Rock House one. When I persisted, she thought I was just concerned about the cost and so she sadly put it back. So I had to break down and tell her. (Of course, the up side is that I think I scored points for successfully picking out something she liked!)

And did I mention that I filled up with gas that only cost $3.67? 3.67!

For lunch we went to the Little House Buffet.



Sadly, however, there was no buffet. It was a bit scary inside, but it DID say “Little House” on the door, so we had to stay. (Besides, Debbie had vetoed the Chinese place and I had vetoed the Mexican place, and that only left the Tastee Freeze and this place. There are only those four eating establishments in Mansfield, according to the Museum staff. We asked.) I ordered the “Pa Burger” (on Texas toast!) but the waitress was unhappy with me because I said “no tomatoes”. She informed that they had just had fresh ones shipped in from Arkansas, her home state. It really wasn't anything personal. I just don't like tomatoes.

We had a "1000 mile" party just before we reached Kansas City. I figured that was 1000 miles down, about 4000 to go. Our hotel in Topeka on Wednesday night was very good - the pool, the playground, the breakfast (waffles).

Three. Sixty. Seven.
(Plus that 9/10 thing.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who would have thought a year ago that $3.67 was such a find?
Love,
Susan

Anonymous said...

Your trip sounds awesome so far (except for the long stretches of driving). Love the pictures and the sense of humor that shines through for both of you. Stay safe and have fun! Daniel, bring back some brochures for the library's vertical files, please. I'm a mooch, and I admit it.

Anonymous said...

Well, you can thakn president Bu$h and his gang making $3.67 gas sound like a bargin. he is an idiot for leading us to war but don't be fooled! he is also a briliant master mind,

Impeach HAlliburton!

I would write alot more but i have so many other blogs i must post obnoxious comments at.

Anonymous said...

Your blog and pictures continue to be great -- it's almost like we're getting to go on the trip with you!

Julia is very excited that you went to the Laura Ingalls Wilder museum.