Friday, July 12, 2013

Well, I'm Standing on a Corner...

In Winslow, Arizona, on Route 66, taking it easy.



After leaving the Petrified Forest National Park, we continued to head west on I-40.  We stopped at a cool trading post called "Geronimo" where we did a little shopping.  Debbie got some petrified wood and I picked up some postcards.

We stopped for the night in Winslow, Arizona, a song made famous in the Eagles' song, "Take It Easy."  I had to explain to my kids why we were stopping in downtown and taking all of their pictures standing on the corner.  At first they thought I was completely nuts, but as more people came by from other states to also have their picture taken "on the corner," they realized it wasn't quite so bizarre.

(Speaking of "bizarre," my kids have started a list of things parents shouldn't say.  Apparently, Debbie and I frequently use words and expressions that make them wince.  "Bizarre" made the list, so I'm using that word and the others on the list as much as possible.)





After "standing on the corner," we visited the nearby gift store, which was of course playing Eagles tunes.  (I bet the people in this town are sick of the "Take It Easy" song!)

Because I wanted to stop and see the La Posada hotel which is filled with artistic/historical items, we made a brief detour there.  It was very interesting, but I didn't have time to do more than a quick walk-through.  Next time!  :)

We went to a Sonic restaurant for supper, went to our hotel for some swimming, and then returned to Sonic for their post-8 p.m.. half-price deal on milkshakes.  We're eating pretty well on this trip!


No comments: